Friday, January 2, 2009

Dead Reckoning (1947)




This is, in my humble opinion, one of the defining examples of the film noir style. I may not be entirely objective in this, as I am always a sucker for a Bogart picture, but I think it has everything: Bogart as the tough guy anti-hero on a quest for truth and vengence; Lizabeth Scott as the quintessential femme-fatale who the hero falls for, but is never entirely sure of; Morris Carnovsky as the wealthy and corrupt villain; The wonderful Marvin Miller as Krause, his sadistic bodyguard; Charles Cane as the tough but fair detective. Bogart's narration through the first half of the film is another element of the noir style and adds a lot to this effort. All in all, Dead Reckoning is not to be missed.





2 comments:

  1. nice blog. I love old movies, especially the 40s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you like it. Stay tuned, there's lots more to come.

    ReplyDelete